Monday, November 10, 2008

House Remodel Project #1

I will start by saying we LOVE our home! We moved in December of last year and there is very little that I would change, even though I am full of new projects...but, one of the things that we MUST change is the wallpaper. In fact, if it wasn't so hard to take down I would have done 3 bathrooms and a kitchen a long time ago. I mean seriously, who created the freaking glue(cement) that makes this awful stuff stick to the walls. I would like to meet him and ask why he never created the antidote to this glue (cement) and then I would have to slap some sense into him...he could have made a goldmine off of it because everyone knows this stuff goes out of style every 10-20 years and it is ridiculous to remove. And "scoring" it and spraying on DIF only makes an enormous mess of sticky miniature pieces of wallpaper that you have to peel off one.by.one...OMG!!! So here is the not quite before, but during and after. It was a purple and gold harlequin type pattern...PRETTY!

Now the newly textured walls are a lovely Swiss Chocolate with Porcelain Blue accents. Whew! Only 2 more large bathrooms and the kitchen...and they aren't small so I am really looking forward to it. I welcome your knowledge about removing wallpaper :) Volunteers are welcome for wallpaper removal project #2 if you have nothing better to do or if you just don't know what you are getting yourself into, feel free to come over!

7 comments:

Annemarie said...

Yay - it's all finished....and it looks GREAT! :)

Brett Bollman said...

That doesn't look or sound fun... but it must be rewarding to have something that looks that good in the end. Very nice!

All About the Arredondos said...

Thank you!! There is more where that came from if you like to pick ;-)

Can't wait to have Mr Bollman in Austin!!

Beankountess said...

Wow! It looks great! I have shared your pain. I will never do it again by myself.

You may look into getting as primer you can paint over the wallpaper - so you don't have to take it down. ;-)

All About the Arredondos said...

Thank you!! Definitely some work, yes. I tried thew primer route but was told that since the wallpaper is not staying on in some spaces that it would be a bad idea since will continue to come off...want to come for #2? :)

The Iveys said...

OMG, I did this to our media room when we moved in and I did the Fabric Softener route. The faintest scent of Downey sends me into orbit! It was the WORST experience. I don't have any helpful hints b/c we just gave up and painted over it...Your bathroom looks lovely though!!

All About the Arredondos said...

thank you!! I will try Downey on the next bathroom :)